Thursday, November 13, 2008

Relationship

I'm so bad at maintaining relationships... No, I'm not talking about romantic relationship. I'm talking about friendships.

Yesterday, I called one of my long time best friend. We haven't spoken for a while. I like to email, but she likes to text. So when I email, she didn't reply, when she texts, I rarely reply. After a while, I have no desire to write her emails. Same goes for her, she has no desire to text me.

Phone calls are rare. If we do talk on the phone we talk more about another person, who is also our best friend. We were like a group of friends that used to do three-way emails.

So about the phone conversation I mentioned earlier. After a few small talks, we were both at lost for words... I was feeling very awkward, I don't know if she did too but she ended the phone call by saying that she didn't want to interrupt my dinner. (I was in a restaurant for a family gathering, but I was still waiting for other people to come.)

I was reflecting on this little happening in my life this morning and I realize, how I have lost contact with many of my friends, just because we aren't walking in the same path anymore. The separation was mostly a sentimental one. We were saying we'll miss each other and that we'll keep in touch. Then for a while we did keep in touch. Made a few visits. Then reduced to phone calls. Then reduced to just emails. Then... like the story above. Nggak nyambung... (lit: not connected, bad chemistry, etc.)

So, how can people still connect with so many acquaintaces? Do you have a how-to-keep-a-friendship-going kind of article?

2 comments:

Felicia said...

It does happen to most people. Saying that we would keep in touch, but we never really do.

I didn't really keep the relationship close. Usually I just dropped at their social networking page, checking up their pics and dropping a small hello-how-have-you-been message. Once in a while I will find that they have changed a lot, whether it is in appearance, career, marriage status, or even having kids.

Of course, we're not as close as we used to be, but it's inevitable. We don't get a chance to hang out that often anymore after all. Usually though, if you're used to be close friends, when you hang out together again face-to-face, you won't feel even awkward, even after being separated for a long time =)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, just go make some new friends, if they aren't in the same path, means they are neutral, or competitors/enemy, if it the second one, just hunt them down, simple and efficient.

There's still many people in this world. You will find some new friends if you try, have a nice day, and may the force be with you.